Are you planning on avoiding beach traffic and staying put this Labor Day weekend? I don't blame you. I don’t even plan to leave Lake Anne Plaza. In fact, one of the reasons my non-profit, Friends of Lake Anne, started the annual Jazz & Blues Festival was to bring great music to our favorite spot. Ten years later, it is one of the highlights of the summer, due in large part to the work our fellow sponsors (Lane Anne Merchants, the Reston Community Center, and Reston Association) do to make sure it is a stellar event.
So grab your suntan lotion and a lawn chair, and head down to Lake Anne Plaza on Saturday, September 3 from 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
This year we’re celebrating our 10th anniversary! It seems like just yesterday that we hosted the first one. Over the years, we’ve had so much fun, we can’t just keep it to one day. So Lake Anne Jazz Week starts Friday, August 26 and will conclude on Saturday, September 3rd (Labor Day Weekend) with the 10th Annual Jazz & Blues Festival.
You read that right—it’s a whole week! Throughout the week, we have a variety of jazz themed events from live music to a free feature film classic (Jazz on a Summer’s Day) on August 26 at 7:30 p.m. Now that I think about it, this would be a great week for your family staycation. Just a suggestion.
Jazz & Blues Festival Line Up (September 3)
1:00PM Adrian Duke
- 2:00PM Mykle Lyons Sextet
- 3:00PM Chip Bubeck
- 4:00PM Integriti Reeves
- 5:00PM Clarence Penn
- 6:00PM Sam Gunderson
- 7:00PM Dixie Power Trio
Jazz Week Merchant Activities
There is always more to Jazz week than the music. The Lake Anne Merchants have a ball coming up with specials and fun things to do all week long.
- Chesapeake Chocolates, Wine, Gifts and More –
September 1: Virginia Wine & Cheese Tasting (6:00 p.m. – 7 p.m.).
September 3: Wine and Chocolate Tasting (2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.). Free.
- PetMAC Pet Nutrition Center – Jazz up your pet with 35% off all collars, leashes and apparel
- Reston Art Gallery – Browse locally created art at Reston Art Gallery & Studios at Lake Anne Plaza. Get 10% off a variety of musically themed art in various media such as acrylics, oils, watercolors, pastels and even mobiles and collages. You may even get lucky and get to see the artist at work creating a masterpiece! Refreshments will be served.
- Reston Museum – 20% off special edition Robert E. Simon martini and Bloody Mary glasses, each one etched with the signature of Reston’s founder.
- Reston’s Used Book Shop – 50% off on all jazz and blues themed books.
- Samantha Hu, Medical Chi-Kung Therapy – Free consultations during Jazz Week.
- small change Consignment – All musical toys 20% off during jazz week.
- Kalypsos Sports Tavern – Acoustic music on the patio Friday and Sunday 5-8 pm.
Friday night “The Vandelays” at 9:30pm.
Saturday Sam Gunderson performs immediately following his Jazz fest performance (9:30PM).
Look for a special menu for Jazz fest week as well as Jazz Week drink.
All this takes place Lake Anne Plaza (Waterfront) – 1609 Washington Plaza, Reston, VA 20190. If you see me walking around with my adorable French bulldog, stop and say hi! Or peek in the Lake Anne Coffee Shop — that’s where I spend most of my free time as we prepare to open our doors.