I'm looking forward to tonight. I love New Year's Eve! I don't know about you, though, but I usually spend so much energy deciding what to do on New Year's Eve, that I completely forget about planning about New Year's Day! This year I thought I'd actually look into what's going on New Year's Day in the Reston and DC area. Here are the five activities that made my list. Chances are I'll just decide to stay inside and drink coffee all day, but it's nice to have good options.
- Visit the Smithsonian museums I have to say it never occurred to me that the museums would be open on New Year's Day. But they are. Whether you love modern art, airplanes, or dinosaurs, the Smithsonian has something for you. Visit their website to find hours and locations.
- Explore the National Zoo Want to spend some time outside in the brisk January air? Visit the National Zoo. It should be quiet on New Years Day. And if you feel adventurous, you can wander on into Rock Creek park for an outdoor picnic. The website has more information.
- Take a hike I love hiking in the winter. The air is brisk and there are no bugs. If you really want to stay local, simply pick up any of the RA trails and go for an adventure. Or head off to one of the many local parks (click here for a list). I love starting at River Bend park in Great Falls and hiking along the river into Great Falls Park to look at the falls. The dogs like it too.
- Have brunch with friends Why should the new year festivities end at midnight? I love getting together with friends on New Year's Day and talking about our big plans for the coming year. Between Reston Town Center, Lake Anne, and South Lakes Village Center, and there are plenty of wonderful options to choose from in Reston. If I run out of coffee, you'll likely see me down at Lake Anne!
- Watch some college bowl games I'm not a huge football fan, but somehow watching college football on New Years Day just feels right. And since I'm not emotionally invested in any of the games, it's a stress-free activity! There are games all week, but here is the January 1 lineup:
- TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl, EverBank Field, Jacksonville, Fla. - 12 p.m.
- Heart of Dallas Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Dallas - 12 p.m.
- Capital One Bowl, Florida Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Fla.- 1 p.m.
- Outback Bowl, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla. - 1 p.m.
- Rose Bowl Game Presented by Vizio, Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Calif. - 5 p.m.
- Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz., - 8:30 p.m.
However you decide to spend that day, I hope it is a fun and relaxing start to 2014. Happy New Year!