Did you know that fireworks retailers sold $369.4 million fireworks in 2012 and fireworks wholesalers sold $508.1 million? Yes, we Americans LOVE our July 4th fireworks shows. And no place is this more evident than the Washington, DC metro area.
As you plan your Independence Day celebrations, think about which fireworks show you want to watch. You can stay local in Reston, head into the City, or out to the country. You have amny choices!
The National Fireworks are perhaps some of the most spectacular, and you can get wonderful views of them from various spots around the city: venture down to the National Mall and hang out at the Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima) in Arlington, Virginia near the Rosslyn Metro station. Or stop at areas along the Virginia side of the Potomac River.
Of course, you don't need to go into DC to see great fireworks. We've got our own right here in Reston at Lake Fairfax Park (1400 Lake Fairfax Dr., Reston, Virginia. (703) 471-5415). Fireworks begin around 9:15 p.m. Here is a list of other Independence Day fireworks near Reston. See a map of fireworks locations in the DC metropolitan area courtesy of About.com.
- Herndon: Bready Park, Herndon Community Center, 814 Ferndale Ave. Herndon, Virginia. (703) 787-7300. Face painting, balloon sculpturing, bingo and crafts begin at 6:30 p.m. Music at 7 p.m. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
- Fairfax: Fairfax City, Independence Day Parade through the downtown area beginning at 10 a.m. Musical entertainment begins at 7 p.m. at Fairfax High School with a spectacular fireworks display at dark. (703) 385-7858.
- Falls Church: George Mason High School, 7124 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, Virginia. Live music will start at 7 p.m. followed by fireworks at 9:20 p.m.
- Leesburg: Ida Lee Park, Rt. 15 (King Street) and Ida Lee Drive, Leesburg, Virginia. (703) 777-1368. Gates open at 6 p.m. Fireworks around 9:30 p.m.
- McLean: Langley High School, 6520 Georgetown Pike McLean, Virginia. (703) 790-0123. Grounds open at 8 p.m., fireworks at 9:15 p.m. Free admission and parking. Shuttle buses will be available from St. John's Lutheran Church (on Douglass St. and Georgetown Pike) and the McLean Community Center.
- Vienna - Vienna Community Center, 120 Cherry Street Southeast, Vienna, Virginia. Arts and crafts, food, live music, vendors, and games. Celebrations start at 11 a.m. Fireworks at 9:15 p.m. at Southside Park on Ross Dr.
Have a great July 4th!